11-28-2013   #39572 (permalink)
Light
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega
BTW, is it better to power off desktops or leave them on? I know with my Laptop they suggested that I just close the lid that puts it into sleep mode (but obviously you can't close the lid on a desktop~)
This is something always subject to some debate, but it's worth noting that capacitors, converters and all manner of power regulation hardware does have a lifespan.

A previous motherboard I owned died because I kept the system on 24/7, it reached the lifespan where the capacitor just couldn't tolerate any more electrical charge. It was a $140 dent I wasn't prepared for, but the motherboard lasted 2 years.

It's also worth noting that power has to come from somewhere, so your electrical bill will likely shoot up $20 per month or more leaving it on.

So really it's up to you. Personally unless I have a reason to keep a system on overnight (MMO shop, torrenting, updates etc.) then I'll power the system down before bed. Or I'll set a macro to shut the system down for me while I'm asleep, at a time when I think it has been on long enough. (3-4 AM)

--

Fire Strike score of 7407 is pretty damn good for a system that cheap. You can easily tackle some very big name graphical beasts like Crysis 3, without any notable issues.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!