View Single Post
07-01-2013   #39 (permalink)
NoobJr
ggFTW Fan

NoobJr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I find it strange that you understand how complicated it would be to have both old and new versions of hub worlds running together in a game but seem to believe having two different versions of a game mechanic would be simple.
The hub world is a big network thing, the skill tree is just a small part of the user database. So you don't have both versions "running" together, just coexisting independently.
The player's connection to this game mechanic (the skill database for their character) is through SP gain, and the skill tree window. The SP can easily have two versions, one for each tree, and you just see the one you can actually use on your active tree. The most complicated part might be the tree window if they didn't code the windows part properly, but it hardly seems like much of an issue.

Quote:
My interpretation was that the game was intended to be played with 8 skill slots from the beginning, and the 4 skill slot restriction was merely a business decision to nickel and dime players via the cash shop. People can "deal with it," but that managing to cope doesn't make it a better system.
Yeah, I never liked the restrictive 4 slot system. I probably got lucky that my character choice does fine with just 4, but it seems like 5 would be the minimum to make a satisfactory layout for everyone, even if you have to change it for certain dungeons. Two actives and three specials, or three specials and two actives.

Quote:
Because the level cap wasn't always this high, the max SP wasn't always high enough to get every skill people desired by max level and then some.
They really created the "too much SP, no choice needed" problem themselves by never adding new skills as they raised the cap. And now they "solved it forever" in a pretty lame way by making the same already existing skills gradually get stronger whenever they raise the cap, even though it's just a miniscule amount. They even changed old MP200s into MP300s so every class (including 3rd jobs) has a MP300 or MP250, which is why I don't think they intend to ever create more skills.
They did add skills I think twice, the locked skills and a couple 2nd job skills, but not nearly enough to spend all the new SP and keep you with the same amount of choice.

I wonder why they're so averse to creating skills... It doesn't seem so expensive as they created a bunch for the NPCs (some of which they're reusing now), and they don't flood the game with characters like Grand Chase (at least they didn't use to), and it seems like the most logical way to keep the progression going. Especially when 2nd jobs were downright incomplete (and still kinda are).

Quote:
Ah... I see your point now, though I highly doubt that was the intent of the old system nor do I believe many people do this.
In either system, people have to know what they're doing or suffer the consequences of a suboptimal build indefinitely, so I don't see the new system being any less newb-friendly.
I did that when I was starting out... In the end the SP abundance made it a more forgiving system, and now the low cost per level of a skill would allow for the same thing even if the maxing cost is higher, but the binary choice nullifies that.
I see the choice as worse for usability because it's completely unforgiving and really makes you have to go out of the game to look up what the skills are like. All that while being useless.