View Single Post
05-25-2013   #3 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

I think Windows 7 and 8 is fairly secure with the exception of some USB Viruses.

If you really want to play it safe or go really paranoid, here are the few things you can protect yourself.
1. Use a password manager with 2nd factor authentication, (protects you against keylogger in some sense and allows you to generate passwords for different sites)
2. Run your computer in user privilege and not administrator, this will prevent unintended clicks on UAC boxes. (Don't disable UAC)
3. Disable autorun/autoplay
4. Use Chrome cause it has some form of sandboxing and it also has sandboxing for flash.
5. Disable Java and enable it only when needed. (Note: you don't need Java to run javascripts in browser)
6. Use Incognito mode
7. If Google/Firefox/Antivirus says that the site is suspicious then it usually is.

Generally all the stuff you did only applied when i was using XP, i find a lesser need to perform those scans after using Windows 7.

Note that these are the stuff you can do if you're really paranoid.

Defraggler is a little pointless in Windows 7 unless you're really concern about the defrag algorithm used since Windows 7 built-in defrag works as required.
I used to use SpywareBlaster which is fairly useful but i now blacklist sites on router so it applies to all my computers.

Important Note: Most of these scanners won't work well when you're visiting Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and most foreign websites.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 05-25-2013 at 02:23 AM.