View Single Post
11-11-2012   #8 (permalink)
Nebula
Nonsense
Games
Trickster Online
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Enthalpy/ Reminder
Class: Duelist to_bunny
Guild: Guardians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almora
It gets worse when you're at family dinners or something and your asian parents try to peg you up as trophies vs other asian kids there.

I didn't know you were asian, this is a surprise, haha.
And you sit there thinking "I just want to be a quiet achiever".
Luckily (I guess) I do not have huge family gatherings as most of my cousins are overseas. But it happens in other ways.

This happens amongst Caucasian parents too. Although not so much. But when I finished grade 12 and got my results back I was given a certain number. Anyways, my mum saw a friend's mum in the shop. My friend's mum rubbed the fact that a classmate (not her daughter) got a higher score than me. Her daughter got a lower score than I did so in order to make my mum feel bad... She brings up someone else's child. Me and the other two people mentioned would never rub our grades in each other's faces. It is just the parents.
Every time I talk to this parent I really have to watch what I say or she will work out a way to say something against me. However when she said that her daughter had 2 essays due in two week; I let her know about my 6 items due in a week. She quickly changed topics.

But getting back to the context, mum likes comparing my sister and I with her colleagues at work. Whilst my dad does not.
Mum is Chinese.
Dad is a typical white American.
Mum cares about what I score and will tell me off if I do not do well enough. (And then says that she will not pressure me)
Dad only cares that I have tried my best.

Luckily I got to choose what I wanted my degree in.

Last edited by Nebula; 11-11-2012 at 01:44 AM.