View Single Post
11-04-2012   #4 (permalink)
Almora
-
Special
Games
FlyFFAngels OnlineKitsu SagaSecret of the Solstice
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerEvents RegularSotW JuniorHarem JuniorDetail DetectiveFinders, KeepersTHE CHAMP

Almora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Almora

I certainly understand where you are coming from.

I'm not playing devil's advocate, but I do get a sense of where their hatred stems from. (Usually) for religious groups, it's religion > science. Society in our recent decades have discovered and debunked "homosexuality" to fit the biological viewpoint. That technically in an indirect way, is telling them some of their teachings/beliefs are all lies, which can be quite overwhelming. When you have something like that happen, people need to find something to hold on to, to keep them re-assured in a way(which may explain the active acts of hatred in groups). Or, they may completely shut off all kinds of logic and religion prevails.

---

I personally do not understand it at all. I can never understand why at all, regardless of how much effort I try to put myself in their shoes.

For the longest time, the question of "Why" has been my greatest weapon of reason against these people. I know you didn't state the specific religion, but I'm going to throw in an example. Keep in mind this is not always true and I am not trying to insult said religion in any way. I hope I do not offend anyone.

For example, I would go up to one of these people and ask them "Why is it a sin? Gays are people too." Immediately they recite LEVITICUS, reference the bible, not answer my direct question and I see the emotions clouding logic appear.

Honestly, I can never get a legitimate answer without the bible getting in the way.

Trust me Vith, if you are trying to understand too, I am just as hungry for the answer. I too long for an explanation. This is one of the things we can't find an exact answer to, just like your thread in the past about the universe. In time I do think we will find some kind of middle ground to meet the fanatics halfway. From there, hopefully full acceptance.

Quote:
The way I see it, certain fanatics are just trying to use religion as an excuse to push hatred in the way of people that lead certain lifestyles that certain fanatics find to be disgusting, and they can't handle the emotions they feel.
I agree. I think we can also use the argument that they are insecure of their beliefs(due to how society is gradually progressing in more ways than one etc.)?

---

Quote:
...it is even worse when these certain type of people try to control their own children in this manner.
Have you watched Prayers for Bobby by any chance? It is a wonderful movie.