Thread: Gasland
View Single Post
10-24-2012   #3 (permalink)
Nebula
Nonsense
Games
Trickster Online
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Enthalpy/ Reminder
Class: Duelist to_bunny
Guild: Guardians

This is a very interesting issue that is also being debated in Australia at this moment. The farmers really do not like it.

My opinion goes something like this. Every form of energy is bad for the environment in some way or another.

Coal supposedly heats the planet up; acidifies the oceans and causes crazy weather.
Nuclear: we need to dig this Uranium stuff up to begin with (same with coal) and then work out how to get rid of this waste stuff.
Solar: These take energy to make; whether it be solar panels or mirrors focusing sun into water. I was talking to someone who was developing some type of solar panel for his PhD; I forget what was special about it though.
Wind: Concrete to hold the things in place requires a lot of energy to make.
Geothermal: you need to dig a hole in the ground to begin with.
Biofuels: i find this one more of an ethical issue than an environmental. You are growing corn and then using it to power a car... when there are so many people in world going hungry.

Anyways, I believe that safety regulations need to be tightened. If America is able to sustain itself in power, I think it is a good thing. I think however, people over their are currently more worried about their financial security than the environment (I may be wrong).