View Single Post
10-14-2012   #30 (permalink)
Griever
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA
I wouldn't DFO as an example of a good, satisfying PvP system considering many classes have skills with gigantic hitboxes, auto targeting, or summons that will zone for you with no effort. Even with Fair Arena scaling HP, gear, and damage more fairly, there are some classes that can approach, zone, and deal damage with little effort to where other classes have little to no answer.

I would consider Lunia in its early years to have more satisfying and execution heavy than DFO ever could. Sieg's Whirling Sword - Sidestep cancel and shifting along with Dainn's autostepping took quite a bit of execution.
However, the problem with current Lunia and DFO's combat systems is that both eventually became guilty of resets that bypass whatever anti-infinite system mechanic they used to have and therefore have classes become able to do combos that can kill from full or nearly full HP.
Touting the need to be conscious of the opponent's height and falling speed because of the game's increasing falling speed for longer combos becomes irrelevant when multiple classes can just reset with status effects like Stun or Freeze (with Fire damage or weapons to break the freeze).
With Lunia you have a similar problem. With the ability to skill cancel after a Space/Down Attack, every class short of Dacy and Lime can relaunch enemies ad infinitium and perform killing infinites.

Right now, considering this is from the makers of Lunia, I'm less worried about whether skills have reasonably sized hitboxes for a good spacing game and more about whether they have designed the appropriate game mechanics to prevent infinites from happening.
I'm an optimistic masochist, so I'm probably wrongly assuming ALLM will have learned from their mistakes in Lunia.