09-01-2012   #6 (permalink)
james
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

You need to cut out high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils. High fructose corn syrup has been connected to obesity and other weight related problems and partially hydrogenated oils are a main source of Trans fatty acids which cannot be burned by the body and increase the amounts of "bad" cholesterol and decrease your "good" cholesterol. You can still have soda, but it should not have high fructose corn syrup, nor should you be drinking diet sodas as they contain sweeteners that are also bad for you.

Finding fruits and vegetables that you like is hard, I know. I'm extremely picky and don't like most vegetables as well. Part of the reason you may not like any is because you're eating them "normal." I'm not entirely sure what you meant there, but it sounds like you're just cooking them and then eating them. Try adding a little butter, some pepper, or just try incorporating them into meals rather than eating them solo. As Dare mentioned, hummus+carrots is really good (not to mention both are pretty good for you too). Broccoli and hummus is also really good. I feel like you just haven't tried veggies so you don't want to eat them.

In terms of eating meat, white meat (chicken, turkey, fish) is better for you overall than red meat (beef, duck) since red meat has more cholesterol and fat. Good for you on trying to eat salads, however if you buy them at fast food joints, you're better off just not having them. Most fast food joints use iceberg lettuce which almost completely water and has little nutritional value. Additionally, salads can end up being doused in dressing which doesn't help much either. If you have a salad, go for butterhead or romaine lettuce, or better yet spinach.

If you want to be healthier, that doesn't mean cutting out all fast food; some fast food restaurants are better than others. It'd be wise to cut out the really big unhealthy chains like McDonald's and replace them with chains like Panera, Chipotle, or Noodles & Company. While eating only the latter won't help you (an entire Chipotle burrito is actually basically a whole day's meal worth of food, split it in half/quarters and eat it across multiple days or get a bol and split it across days as well) they're better for you than McD's.Also don't eat those "diet" microwaveable meals because they use sodium to compensate for less "flavor" ingredients.

Not all exercise has to involve the donning of running attire and then proceeding to run a triathlon, you can get an acceptable work-out just walking around with a backpack (obviously with some stuff in it) or some weights. I know you play League, so how about when you die you do some kind of physical activity while waiting to respawn?

How successful "diets" are all depend on how much effort you're willing to put in to actually changing your lifestyle. If you're not willing to change, the diet is not going to work.

Last edited by james; 09-01-2012 at 11:33 AM.