View Single Post
07-05-2012   #5 (permalink)
Mitchi
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

No offense meant to you on this, so bear with me.

1. You can't control your neighbors' behavior or their dogs, so start with your own. Your dogs are leash reactive, no two ways about it, and that is bothersome and annoying to pretty much everyone that gets around them when they are like that. They need to be trained out of it, for your sake and theirs. They react that way out of stress and fear, so if you train them to deal with it, they will be calmer and happier.

2. You need to socialize your dogs. This will also help reduce fear and anxiety from seeing other dogs. Remember, dogs usually act out with leash pulling, etc, because they're scared as ****, or extremely anxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsveTokSmirTi
If I could make my dogs friendlier with other dogs they've never met, trust me, I'd rather have it that way too. But they've matured, and that's how they've always been and always will be, and it isn't going to change.
This is not only a terrible way of thinking, but it's simply not true. Even an older dog can be socialized (very carefully, that is), and they can be taught against leash pulling once you understand why they do it (Lack of socialization, fear, anxiety).

That said, I'm not gonna sit here and criticize and not offer any advice.

First, you need to train your dogs the "Watch me" or "Look at me" command. This is exactly what it sounds like: You teach your dog to look at you. After they have mastered this, gradually teach them to do it while there are distractions. GRADUALLY. Don't go from an empty room to trying to get them to look at you while there is a dog near by. You have to take the small, in between steps.

HOWEVER. Don't try to ask for "watch me" when you know your dog won't be able to do it. That's just setting them up to fail.

Second, get them used to other dogs, slowly. Ask one of your neighbors if you can have their dog meet with yours regularly just to get them used to other dogs. Trust me, it works wonders for a socially anxious dog.