Thread: Soul Master 101
View Single Post
05-30-2012   #3 (permalink)
Almora
-
Special
Games
FlyFFAngels OnlineKitsu SagaSecret of the Solstice
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerEvents RegularSotW JuniorHarem JuniorDetail DetectiveFinders, KeepersTHE CHAMP

Almora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Almora

Can't decide on which elements you want? No problem, I'll sort out all the pros/cons of each path.

A.

First off, the popular Fire/Elec route. This is now a favored and highly possible endgame build compared to the past, where it wasn't as popular.

Pros:
  • Arguably the best grinder at popular training sites(Snow mine, Kerbs).
  • A very effective PvP build, so if you want to PvP on the side, going this path will be the best investment.
  • Good bosser.
  • Fire is considered the strongest element out of the 5.
  • Has powerful single target fire skills, balanced out with AoE electric skills.
  • A great magical party supporter for other fire users in your party.
  • High single target damage.
  • Some boosted AoE skills.

Cons:
  • Doesn't do so well outside of popular training sites due to high fire/elec resistant mobs near late game.
  • Semi mediocre at taking out multiple mobs with Raion's Space.
  • Does average on higher CT boss floors. Better than wind/water and fire/earth for the most part.

Terrible_______Mediocre______Excellent
<-1--2--3---4---5---6---7---8--9--10->
My rating: I give it an overall 8, this is a very good path that I recommend. If you think that the pros seal the deal for you, then the more you should choose this route. Even though they perform poorly outside of the traditional grinding spots, they also excel in fiesta, but other element paths will do it better. Otherwise, this is not a starter friendly decision for you free players.

B.

Next up, Water/Elec. A very deadly and highly effective build.

Pros:
  • Arguably the best boss hunter out of all the combinations. You will be OHKO'ing most things. Also does very well in higher CT boss floors.
  • Also a very effective PvP build.
  • Very good at clearing multiple mobs with Undine's Garden.
  • A very balanced path, water as a your main single target element and electric for killing multiple targets.
  • Highest single target damage output out of all 5 elements.
  • Boosted AoE skills.
  • A great magical party supporter for other electric users in your party.
  • Even though most mobs late game resist electricity, Undine's Garden and Shard of the Glacier will take care of that problem, be it multiple or single.
  • Very starter friendly. Good for those who don't spend on the game and/or just playing Soul Master as their first main character.

Cons:
  • Doesn't do well at all in popular training sites.

My rating: I give it an overall 9, this is a very good path that I also recommend. If you think that the pros seal the deal for you, then the more you should choose this route. In addition, this is a very starter friendly path to go if you're a free player and don't spend MS on the game. Honestly, there's barely anything wrong with this path and once again, definitely recommend.

C.

Next up, Water/Wind. The notorious wind element comes into play here. I have personally played with this build until 400. So here's my take on it-

Pros:
  • Arguably the most balanced elements in PvE. You are provided with the water element specializing in single target damage and wind is your main leveling skill.
  • VERY quick cool downs. Close to non-existent, if I may say.
  • Wind ties with fire/elec as a very popular training element, due to its short cool downs.
  • Good bosser.
  • A great magical party supporter for other water users in your party.
  • Even though some mobs late game resist water, Sylph's Playground and your water skills will take care of that problem. Other than that, nothing resists wind or water early and mid game in normal PvE. This doesn't include bosses or Chaos Tower Bosses.
  • Hardly anything will touch you because you can get rid of them FAST.
  • High single target damage.
  • Good bosser, naturally all SM's are ^_~.
  • This combination has the MOST RELAXING blessing sounds. I'm seriously saying this. Coming from a Light Shield perspective, this is a godsend. When you have your wind and water blessings on sometimes, you'll feel instantly relaxed and calmer. LOL.

Cons:
  • Does semi-well at popular training spots. It's a good half and half split. You will do well anywhere, it's just that fire/elec will outclass you at certain maps.
  • Has trouble clearing multiple mobs efficiently, because their space only boosts water, not wind. And water is only a single target element. It is unsure whether it will get an AoE in the future.
  • Can't PvP well. Your water skills are useful, but not damaging enough. Wind will just get you killed fast because it's mostly close-ranged based.
  • Can't CT well at the higher last floors.
  • Unboosted AoE skills.

My rating: I give it an overall 7, this is a very good path that I also recommend for those who like to traditional grind a lot. If you think that the pros seal the deal for you, then the more you should choose this route. In addition, I give it a 7 because Chaos Tower was introduced. Up until then, I had been very successful with this combination. NEVER had a problem. The lack of a multiple target space boost didn't hurt me much at all, even though at times I wished for it. I say Chaos Tower gave it a lower score because the higher floor bosses' annoying summons will MURDER me, since Whirlwind isn't boosted. And you'll mostly be spamming all of your water skills to kill them quick, hardly any wind blades or raging storms. The final floors can get very frustrating with water/wind so I changed elements. Once again, this a very balanced build, not too many cons.

D.

Now my personal favorite, Wind/Earth! I absolutely LOVE this combination and here's why-

Pros:
  • Arguably the PvE QUEEN, you have access to MANY AoE's.
  • Simply the best & fastest when it comes to clearing multiple mobs easily.
  • Fastest and highest multiple target damage out of all the 5 elements.
  • A great magical party supporter for other wind users in your party.
  • Hardly anything resists wind/earth at end game. A plus.
  • Can literally take up a full map in seconds and keep it going.
  • Second fastest CT bosser, right under water/elec.
  • Good bosser outside of CT.
  • Fiesta is your Palace.

Cons:
  • Does semi-well at popular training spots. But maps like fiesta make up for it, by A LOT.
  • Has little to none 1 vs 1 target skills due to wind & earth specializing in multiple targets, only a few single target skills are available.
  • Can't PvP well at all. Bad build.
  • Mediocre at party mine quests.
  • Too many skills to juggle and not enough skill slots Dx

My rating: I give it an overall 9, this is a very good path that I also recommend. If you think that the pros seal the deal for you, then the more you should choose this route. This route is just awesome for traditional grinders. Even though it lacks single target skills, you'll mostly be depending on Arrow Rush, Wind blade & Raging, which isn't too bad. Once again, highly recommend for the AoE lovers.

E.

The forgotten path, Fire/Earth. You'll hardly see anyone using it, and when you do, they're not doing it right! Pretty unpopular and the rarest out of all the paths, BUT it is VERY FUN and damaging if done right. These are not your average elements that you'd lump together since they don't compliment each other at all if you're not pure. Now that we've got Salamander's Territory, we can pretty much make these two elements connect and shine.

Pros:
  • Cleaving Terra has a HUGE target number. The best gathering skill in the game and the best offensive skill in your arsenal if you can manage to OHKO with it.
  • Game play is really unique. You're basically a child of fire/elec and wind/earth. Powerful fire moves, as well as strong earth skills. Yes I said strong. Salamander's Territory makes your Cleaving even godlier.
  • Does the second best at popular training spots, with fire/elec taking number 1 spot.
  • A great magical party supporter for other earth users in your party.
  • Barely anything resists Earth in the whole game.
  • Also does VERY WELL at clearing multiple targets because of your Salamander's Territory.
  • Fiesta is also your Palace.
  • Can PvP to an extent because of fire. Your earth skills are used mostly for utility since spaces are broken in PvP.

Cons:
  • Does semi-well at CT bossing and bossing in general due to lack of attacking earth skills and high cool downs. Unfortunately this combination is the worst bosser out of all the others. The earth skill tree is really underdeveloped/broken and needs some heavy revamp and love from the developers.
  • Lacks a decent single target earth skill. Summon Boulder is utter garbage, but it still gets the job done.
  • This route has a plethora of LONG cool downs.
  • Mediocre at party mine quests.

My rating: I give it an overall 6 because the cons are pretty much catching up with the pros. However, this route is recommended for experienced and highly funded players to make it WORK. Even though I said that this combination has long cool downs, you'll HARDLY even notice they are on cool down because you have a lot of skills to juggle, just like wind/earth. You wouldn't even notice a big difference by the time your main AoE's, Cleaving and Earthquake are done and ready to use again. I find this build super fun to play with, Earthquake is an AMAZING skill. The jump in upgrade damage from Cleaving is huge and pretty noticeable. Second strongest AoE out of all the 5 elements, with Staff of Thunder taking 1st place. Once again, I recommend this combination to seasoned and well funded players who want to try something new, unique and fun. Or if you just want to be unique and don't care, then try it!

If I were to rate the elemental paths regarding their damage, ease and speed in general PvE then:

1st: Wind/Earth
2nd: Fire/Elec
3rd: Fire/Earth
4th: Water/Elec
5th: Water/Wind

This is done with all the same eqs, close level range, and only in general PvE. This isn't based on the mines/traditional training areas, I'm sure no one wants to live in a mine or a creepy castle until 400. There are MUCH better options for grinding spots due to the recent major updates.

Last edited by Almora; 06-04-2012 at 12:59 AM.