04-17-2012   #10 (permalink)
Tardar
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflake
i'm not saying it's legal, i'm saying it's to be expected and punishing something like that with a fine is just stupid.

i also don't think that would be a quality of 'good media'. it's a terrible practice no matter how common it may be.
Are you implying that people who break the law shouldn't be punished?

Chelie sums up my opinion. "Good" media that wants to "catch your attention" will use extreme cases because they're more likely to catch you're attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelie
I don't think he means good in the sense of like... I'm having trouble finding the word, I'll go with quality for now. What he meant I believe was smart media knows how to play with their power, and smart media picks out the extreme stories.
I'm really positive he didn't mean good/quality/righteous media, just media who knows how to play with media.
He also probably doesn't agree with it but this is just how it is right now, you basically agreed with him at the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinehart
(1) Firstly, I didn't mean that thing about the police state literally. It was more of a hyperbole. But I feel something's a little wrong when police are patrolling schools.

(2) And I know about the whole "13 year old said it" thing you're talking about. It's not exactly a reliable source. But it is true that criminal charges against kids are high and on the rise. It's been an issue that's come up a few times already and I still don't really think it's been raised enough.

(3) It just bothers me that our country's faith in its children is so low, they have to station cops at schools to keep 'em in line when honestly, I feel that it accomplishes the exact opposite. The more you police these kids, the more likely they're going to lash out or do something stupid. It's a kind of pressure, really. Things would be better if schools knew how to handle things themselves and then did so.
(1) That's quite the hyperbole. But even still, it's not the most appropriate hyperbole because a police officer in a school doesn't constitute a police state unless that sole police officer was arresting like homosexuals and blacks stating that they were like impure or whatever.

(2) I have more harsh opinions on justice, and generally believe that once you're at least 13, you're smart enough to be accountable for your actions. If not, you're parents are incapable.

(3) It's hard to have faith in children and young people (using this to refer to college people as well) when they feel the need to shoot up schools. Throw in the fact that children are also brutal to each other (see: bullying), it's really hard to think that children are just innocent angels.

The whole point of having police officers in school is in the event that someone decides to shoot-up, there's a pedophile in the school/near-by, there's situation that administration can't handle, there's someone is "trained" to handle these kinds of situations. The police officers are not there for everyday discipline; that's the job of administration.

Again I bring on the point of "good" media covering more sensationalist and extreme stories. Nobody cares about the many schools that have officers (almost every high school has one) that are more or less useless most of the time. If you wanna catch people's attention, write stories about the small number of schools with officers that are loco.