I can't stand the Twilight series. I feel like I lose brain cells just turning the pages. Heck, I know fanfic writers with more sophisticated writing styles and better imaginations.
I like Haruki Murakami, but I've never read Norwegian Wood. His other books (like Kafka on the Shore and Dance, Dance, Dance) doesn't even have sex in it; I guess you landed one of his odder ones. The only thing consistent about him is the kaleidoscopic mindf*** and commercialism-rape.
- Catch 22 (Joseph Heller) - one of the best books I've read in my life
- Veronica Decides to Die (Paulo Coelho)
- The Virgin Suicides (Jeffrey Eugenides)
If you're not into those contemporary pseudo-intellectual types, here's lighter reading in the fantasy genre:
- A Game of Thrones (George RR Martin) which IMO is better than LOTR
- The Abhorsen Trilogy (Garth Nix) for the fantasy-young adult genre
- The Dark Tower (Stephen King) - twisted alternate universe wild west; pretty fascinating
And my favorite book of all time, which I used in my high school book report: Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)
...and I had to skip a most of titles on my bookshelf because they either are "deep" or includes sex. :U
Not all those who wander are lost.