12-11-2010   #5 (permalink)
Pathos
~_~
Games
Dragon NestLuniaDungeon Fighter Online

Pathos has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point
There are just a few genres that I don't like as much. In general, they're adventure, story set further than 50 years back (I find it hard to relate) and romance. There are always exceptions though of course.
I'm currently reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight for my English class. Although written during the 15th century, this romance is actually interesting if you enjoy magic, symbolism, etc. However, it is somewhat challenging to read because the author, dubbed the Pearl Poet, wrote Sir Gawain and the Green Knight with long descriptions of a certain aspect in the romance, such as the description of the Green Knight, spanning seventy lines.

I actually do not have a book version of the romance, but instead a scanned copy from my teacher's book. You could probably get a prose translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by J.R.R. Tolkien & E.V. Gordon. Or if you want to read the poem in its original meter, try getting a translation of the poem by Theodore Howard Banks.

Some other books that I recommend are:
- The Shipping News by Annie Proulx
- Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (somewhat long and difficult to read initially, but rather fast-paced once you delve into it. a lot of irony/humor.)