Thread: Take it easy!
View Single Post
10-20-2010   #1 (permalink)
Silver Rook
sɪlvər
Awards Retired Content StaffPervert Award

Silver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Silver Rook Send a message via AIM to Silver Rook Send a message via MSN to Silver Rook Send a message via Yahoo to Silver Rook Send a message via Skype™ to Silver Rook
IGN: Silver
Class: Ag
Level: 47
Guild: Transition Metals
Default Take it easy!

After such a long break... Or pause from drawing, I've decided to sketch and work on something just to get back on the line.

Well, seriously though, in many cases, it isn't that I don't want to draw for people but... Well, let's get on with the program!

Base sketches

Spoiler!

I find a sketchy frame easier to work with because it allows me to use my imagination to go for the maximum limits of whatever I want to draw. Having thick lines would allow you to use your imagination in such a way that you can choose and see the final location of the lines if you had to. While drawing clothing and folds may require practice, I'm not really good at it either so I can't give you much information about this. However, it helps if you try different layers and different fold lines all the time.

Pretty much about being observant rather than forcing yourself to draw all day. Sometimes, you just can't learn much from just drawing by yourself. It tends to help when you have someone to comment on your drawings, or even draw with others (Like on iScribble, people would either draw with you or comment on your drawings). I'm sure it's fine though, some people just work better with more practice than others.

Line Art

Spoiler!

Dependant on your art style, different people have different applications and styles to finish up their line arts. I'm pretty much stuck with Photoshop, so I had to make do with what I have. First, I blew the image up by 500%. This allows me to work on fine lines for the final work as thin lines look neat and much more suited to my style. However, it should be noted that even lines require gradient and width, so fret not if you have to get a line real thick. In fact, thick lines could amplify the appeal of your image! It could have been a style by itself too.

So, with a basic Photoshop brush, I begin the tiring work of slowly drawing the lines out one by one, in fact, I've decided to add in even more lines to make the drawing look more refined and detailed in certain ways. Sometimes it helps if you would add in some small details into the folds, or perhaps even a different design here or there to make it complex!

Finally, I shrank the line art back to 25% of the blown up 500% image size and uploaded it on photobucket to archive it.

Coloring

Spoiler!

Coloring is a difficult choice for most artists like me. I mostly do pencil and pen sketches, so colors ain't much of a choice for me. Usually, gradient would be the only thing I do in most situations. However, having a black and white picture on a colored screen just... Isn't really great at times.

Choosing colors in special ways could make your art interesting. On iScribble, a particular user, Mashiro, colors pink hair and shades it with a slight tinge of blue. As for orange, she colors it with a slight tinge of either yellow or blue. There are many other users like her, because sometimes, a single color could make your image look really boring at times.

There is a way of doing though. Sometimes, depending on your color theme. As for the drawing I'm showcasing here, I tend to stick with her blue and white school uniform theme. Let's just stick with that all the way.

Out of my habits, I decided to shade white with purple. Firstly, because it's a transition color, it's nither warm or cool, which makes it good for a shade on white. I've seen green (Greenish grey) being used as a shade for white too. In many cases, white has many different contrasts. Fret not to use other colors rather than just grey to shade white.

Choosing colors is as important as having a good line art. In the end, it's a battle won quick if you've gotten both right!

Final Touches

Spoiler!

It doesn't hurts to touch up your drawing so that it meets your standards by the end of the day. It's your pride and joy and so you should do your best to make it acceptable in many ways. Sometimes, it would help if you could just take a break or two before coming back to the image. When that happens, your mind tends to "Refresh" itself and you may be able to see faults in your drawings.

In other cases, touching up could mean fixing any errors or even just throwing a dab of paint or two. In my case, I've colored the line art so that it isn't that contrasting with the colors I've placed earlier. In a further attempt to make the image look official, I've decided to throw in some additional features you could find on visual novel webpages and decided on a card design.

All in all, it took awhile.

Nevertheless, I felt good because I took such a long break from art. (CURSES! I passed all my semestral exams though...)

Sometimes, you should just relax and... Take it easy!

Finished Product

... Somewhere in another board on iScribble... Another WIP pops up and awaits my call to deal the finishing blow...

Man, drawing on iScribble is such a challenge

This is Kyuubey