ggFTW Regular

IRJustman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by apparently from GRC's website... *sigh*
Processor
Quote:
Any modern processor will do, as they all have virtualization support on-chip. Take any Intel C2D or AMD Athlon 64 will do.
Use this tool to check if your processor support hardware virtualization.
- GRC*|*SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features*|**
This is factually inaccurate.

The only part that actually is accurate is that all recent (within the past two to three years) AMD processors have virtualization support. What's not true is all Intel Core 2-series processors have virtualization. In fact, quite a few Intel Core 2 (both Duo and Quad) processors actually do not have hardware virtualization support (VT-x instructions). You have to buy the higher-end chips in their respective series in order to get it. As an example, my Core 2 Duo E4500 at home does not have the VT-x instruction set, so that has to be done by software. I'd have to replace it with something else to get the support I'm after.

Wikipedia's list of Core 2 processors has a reasonably-accurate (if not up-to-date) list of which processors have VT-x support.

Oh, and don't you even dare get me started on GRC and Steve Gibson...

Hope this helps.

--IJ.

Last edited by IRJustman; 12-04-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Well, C2 chips less VT-x CAN do virtualization, but the VT-x functionality must be simulated in software